Day 2 - Colombo (including Fort & Pettah)

I decided to catch a local bus from Mt Lavinia to Columbo Fort (20 LKR), & spent some time walking around the Pettah district which was great fun although very busy, (it was a bank holiday). 4th Cross Street (Old town) was great to see, with all the wonderful coloured lorries laden with spices. I also visited the Sri Subramanian Kovil & Jami Ul Aftar temples.


Local bus to Fort


Main Road - Pettah (very busy!)


4th Cross St (Old Town in Pettah)


4th Cross St (Old Town in Pettah)


The Jami Ul Alfar Mosque in Pettah is one of the oldest mosques in Colombo (1909)


I had lunch at the 'Harbour Room' (Harbour something anyway!) I think it was located at the junction of Lotus Rd & Sir Baron Jayatilaka St. It’s like a large warehouse (nice & cool) & it has a buffet style service. The plates were wrapped in plastic bags & you dish the food out onto the plates leaving the bag where it is, I am assuming this saves washing up! It was a great feed for a little over a pound.

After the meal I continued to walk around & it wasn't long before I was approached by a local man, who seemed just to want to hang around with me & take me to some temples? He told me he was not after money as he had a good job, a TV technician! & his wife was also a nurse! He informed me he had a son & daughter, & his daughter collected stamps. He suggested when I return home to England I could post a few out to her! He wanted me to catch a tuk tuk as he said it was a little too far to walk to the nearest temple, as he had a bad leg! I told him I was happy to walk, he then just jumped into a passing tuk tuk & I never saw him again, who knows what he was really after!

I later walked along the Galle Face Green & watched the locals fly their kites before slowly making my way to the Gangaramaya (Buddhist) Temple which seemed to be getting a new roof. I saw my first Sri Lankan elephant, although sadly chained up on a slab of concrete. It was really funny to watch him pick up branches he had already chewed & then toss them away to his keeper as if to say… 'Get me something a little better please'! I stood for about 10 minutes watching this lovely animal wondering if only he could speak & express how he felt about being chained up? The temple was very impressive if not a little kitsch. I also made my way to Seema Malaka (Beira Lake) which was a very peaceful place to relax.


The Twin Towers of Colombo


Galle Face Green

Gangaramaya (Buddhist) Temple


Having a good wash down!


I later caught a bus to 'Barefoot', which is a great little shop for souvenirs, however I did not buy anything as it is too early in my travels to be carrying extra luggage. After a while I jumped on another bus back to Mt Lavinia to watch the sun go down on the beach.



No comments:

Post a Comment