Day 18 - Ambalangoda to Hikkaduwa (by bus) & a walk south as far as Raigama, & another bus to Galle & finally a train back to Ambalangoda

I was up early again & caught a bus to Hikkaduwa (15 LKR). I jumped off the bus 2km north of Hikkaduwa at the Seenigama Temple, which is situated on a tiny island just offshore. All around here I witnessed evidence of the Tsunami that destroyed most of this area in 2004. Many buildings were still left abandoned, although there were plenty of new buildings around. What is sad is the abundance of graves dotted all around on both sides of the road.

After my visit to the Seenigama Temple I continued to walk northwards until I reached the Tsunami Honganji Vihara, erected by Japanese assistance as a memorial to those that died in the Tsunami tragedy. The centre piece is an 18 metre high standing Buddha (the tallest standing Buddha in Sri Lanka). The location is just a few minutes walk away from the rail track where the train travelling to Matara was engulfed by the Tsunami killing at least 1700 people (the world's worst ever train disaster). I would later travel on this line back from Galle to Ambalangoda.


My host's home in Ambalangoda (including a banana tree in garden!)


The Seenigama Temple


Tsunami Honganji Vihara


I later continued to walk to Hikkaduwa (along the main road & sometimes dropping down onto the beach). It was quite 'touristy' in Hikkaduwa as I saw many western faces, some sunbathing on the beach & some 'scootering' up & down the main drag! I decided to continue walking all the way to Raigama, taking in the sights & grabbing a bite to eat before I jumped on a bus to Galle.


Hikkaduwa Beach


Wewala Beach (further down the coast from Hikkaduwa)


Narigama Beach (further down the coast)


Somewhere between Thiranagama & Raigama along the coast


Somewhere between Thiranagama & Raigama along the coast


After arriving in Galle I spent a couple of hours around the old town, admiring all the colonial buildings & walking along the Fort. I decided to leave at around 5pm. Initially I was going to catch a bus, but I was a little shocked at the length of the queue at the bus stop & so decided to cross the road to the train station & discovered there was a train (30 LKR) going to Aluthgama which was ideal for me. It was completely empty which seemed a little strange compared to the state of the buses!

Galle - The Portuguese arrived here in 1589 & built a fort, which they later extended with a few bastions and walls. The Dutch captured Galle in 1640 & expanded the fort & all the surrounding streets to what it is today. The British took Galle in 1796.


Galle Fort


A nice cafe serving lovely tea! - Galle


Cricket in Galle!


All Saints Church in Galle - 1868


I arrived back at my apartment at about 6:30pm in time to watch the sun go down on the beach. I met my host here and we had a chat about what I had done & seen during the day. I later had my evening meal which was prepared by his wife again, which was another wonderful curry & rice with two large fish. I got the impression they wanted me to stay another day, but I had already decided to spend my last day in Negombo (close to the airport). However my host did offer to take me to see his friend in the morning (on his scooter) who makes masks, as I had mentioned I was keen to buy one.


Another lovely evening meal - Ambalangoda


No comments:

Post a Comment