Day 11 - Anurradapura to Kandy (by bus) & Kandy (Peradeniya) to Nanu Oya (by train) for Nuwara Eliya

I decided to catch the early bus from Anurradapura to Kandy at 6:10am, & so I booked a tuk tuk to pick me up from the hotel & take me to the bus station at a cost of 125 LKR, (which probably was a little too much). I discovered yesterday (when visiting the bus station) I had many times to choose from including ... 04:20am | 05:20am | 06:10am | 06:38am | 07:00am (265 LKR)

The bus which was actually a minibus (with air conditioning) left on time. It took 3 hours to reach the bus station in Kandy, which is right next door to the train station which is handy. I arrived just after 9am & decided to cash some American dollars at the nearby bank & I also had my breakfast at the 'Muslim Hotel' again, which didn't disappoint (a great place with great prices).

Later I walked over to the train station to purchase my ticket, & was told I first had to catch a train to Peradedeiya & from here I could catch another train to Nanu Oya. The train leaving for Peradedeiya was leaving at 10:40am. I paid the fare for the ticket to Nanu Oya (which I can’t quite remember how much but I think it was around 160 LKR).

When I arrived in Peradedeiya I had time for a cup of tea before catching my next train at 12:30 for Nanu Oya.


My train to Nanu Oya (for Nuwara Eliya)


It was a great journey, I was sat with a surveyor up until Hatton, who bought me some food which was kind of him. It was great to see the 'tea pluckers' working hard in the plantations. You never get bored of seeing the hawkers on the train selling their food with the continuous yells of 'Wade Wade Wade'! (Deep fried lentil cookies). The journey took 4 hours and I arrived in Nanu Oya at 4:30pm. I was greeted by the usual tuk tuk drivers wanting to take me to Nuwara Eliya, but decided to jump on the waiting bus at the top of the hill as you leave the train station & paid a fare of 20 LKR. It didn't leave until 5pm, and the drive to Nuwara Eliya was all up hill (1893 metres above sea level).



Kandy to Nanu Oya


Kandy to Nanu Oya


As it was getting a little late in the evening when I arrived I just headed for the nearest hotel and plumped for the 'Glen Fall' hotel & bargained hard for two nights at 1200 LKR a night, which was a little over my normal budget. However it did include hot water, soap, toilet paper & TV! & with internet at 100 LKR for 30 mins. (My initial plan was to book in at the 'Single Tree' hotel)

I later went out & walked the few yards in the direction of some loud music being played & discovered more of the hotel complex (in a tent!) & ordered my evening meal of chicken fried rice with a cup of tea! After my evening meal I had a brief walk around Nuwara Eliya (Little England) & realised how quiet & peaceful the place was, with very little traffic on the roads. I also spotted a few locals wearing jackets and earmuffs! It is cooler here, but not that cold!


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete